We are excited to be back together as a church family on Sunday mornings. Here's what you need to know about Village Church services this summer:
As we continue in our reopening plan with smaller outside gatherings, here’s a reminder of what your Village Church Pastors are committed to:
LIVESTREAM – Doing our best to provide a livestream for anyone who is unable to attend or more comfortable watching from home during this season. We’ve heard from many of you about how important a livestream service would be, particularly for those who are immunocompromised or high risk because of other factors. As a church family, we don’t want to move forward to gathering again in any way that might leave others behind. We have spent the last couple months working to make sure we can livestream our service with good quality audio and video for our church family who will be at home for a while.
MAKING ROOM – Your Pastors are committed to doing what it takes to say yes to anyone who wants to gather for an outdoor worship service. While we are committed to being cautious and limiting the number of people per gathering in order to allow plenty of space and ease back into our gatherings, we are committed to offering as many of these smaller services as is necessary.
- OUTDOOR – We love our building, and we are very grateful to have a building. But in this next season, we believe the best decision is for us to gather outside. Rather than try to do services indoors with a modified version of our normal services, we are just heading outside for something unique and fun. We have chosen a couple service times that should give us a bit more shade and cooler temperatures. We will have a variety of easy ups and umbrellas in the parking lot. You can just choose your spot.
- PICNIC STYLE – We are opening up the parking lot for individuals and families to spread out with their own beach blankets, chairs, etc. and then grab their stuff when they leave. This will allow our church to gather in a more natural and simple way, and our cleaning volunteers can focus on cleaning fewer spaces throughout the morning, like the bathrooms and nursing mother’s room.
- SIMPLE – To keep things simple, our outdoor services will have just a few songs and a shorter message (around 20 minutes) to help families with younger children, and to allow us to add more services as needed.
- OPEN – If you've never attended a Village Church Sunday service, we want you to know that you are welcome to join us! Just pick a service time (8:30 or 10:00am) and show up a few minutes early. We look forward to meeting you.
- SAFE – We believe that God’s people are to do all things in love. We don’t gather as a church just to make a statement. We gather as an act of love, in obedience to God, to declare His Glory to each other and to the world. In order to gather in a way that is loving to our church family and loving to our neighbors, we ask that everyone follow these guidelines:
- Practice social distancing before, during, and after the service
- Stay home if you have experienced any sickness or symptoms in the last week
- Stay home if you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19
- In accordance with state guidelines, please have a facemask with you for situations where you are unable to stay distant, and if you need to go inside the building to use the restroom or nursing mother's room
QUESTIONS + ANSWERS:
What should I bring?
You will want to bring camping or picnic style chairs to sit in. If you need to borrow a chair, we have chairs that you can borrow when you arrive.
We will have plenty of easy ups or umbrellas for you to find some shade, but you could also bring other types of picnic/beach shade canopies. If you really want to step up your game, you are welcome to bring a blanket, a cooler full of drinks, mister fan, solar powered espresso machine, Belgian waffle maker, massage chair, or one of those inflatable sofas from the 90’s
Are there classes for kids?
Beginning September 27th, we are re-launching our Village Kids programs at all outdoor services. We will start with two classes and utilize our playground, grass area, and back parking lot. All the information for our Village Kids Relaunch is on our Village Kids Page.
If you are more comfortable having your kids sit with you in the outdoor service, you are welcome to do that. Each week we will continue to provide our Village Kids video lessons that you can download onto a device for your kids to watch. You can pack headphones for kids, along with their workbooks, pens, crayons, and they can follow along with their Village Kids lesson. If you are new to Village Church, our connect team can help you with all of this when you arrive on a Sunday. If you haven't picked up a Village Kids workbook, those are available on Sunday mornings at the Connect Table.
Will there be coffee or donuts or anything?
For now, we aren't serving any donuts, although anyone is free to bring their own snacks and drinks from home, or grab some donuts on the way to church.
Each Sunday we provide small bottles of cold water throughout the morning.
Will the restrooms be open?
Yes. Our restrooms will be open and accessible from both sides of the building. Restrooms and baby changing rooms will be the only shared spaces on Sunday, so we will be cleaning them regularly.
Is this whole thing awkward?
This is the first time we have ever met for outdoor church services at Village Church, but I think most people would say that it has been pretty fun. We've had a couple Sundays that were a bit warm, but in general, it's great to just be gathered together and spend our summer Sundays singing together and enjoying the beautiful California weather.
Will there be room to sit or stand in the back?
Anyone who would prefer to sit or stand in the back can definitely do this. The layout of the parking lot will allow you to sit or stand in a variety of places. You could even park your car along the sidewalk and stay in your car, as long as you aren’t blasting smooth jazz on your radio.
Can I climb a tree and watch the service?
Yes. We have about 3-5 trees that are available. These are premium seating, and require a reservation. Anyone who arrives on Sunday morning in full rappelling gear is free to use them. But seriously, if you want to sit in a tree, we have some good ones.
Anything else I should know?
We’ve never tried anything like this before, and we are learning as we go. We are really grateful for all the encouragement and grace in this process as we try our best to walk in wisdom. More than anything, we just want to worship God together. We are grateful for a place and opportunity to do this freely.
Is there anywhere I could just park my car and still be near the service?
Yep. If you prefer to park along the curb and stay in or near your car, you will see signs marking off certain spots for anyone who wants to do this. Feel free to park anywhere along the curb and join us for the service.
Will the nursing mother’s room be open on Sunday mornings?
Our regular nursing mother’s room will be closed because of its smaller size, but we have set aside our nursery classroom to be a larger nursing mother’s room that will also have a changing table available. This room will be cleaned throughout the morning.
Questions? You can email David at firstname.lastname@example.org