When it comes to doctrine, culture, preferences, traditions, politics, etc., Village Church takes a “closed-hand/open-hand” approach. The closed hand hangs onto the non-negotiable tenets of Christian orthodoxy. The open hand, however, allows room for differences when it comes to secondary matters. In this way, we are seeking to simultaneously heed the Bible’s commands to have sound doctrine (1 Timothy 4:16; Titus 1:9, 2:1), to love our Christian brothers and sisters (1 Peter 4:8; 1 John 4:7-21), and to avoid unnecessary divisions (Romans 16:17; 1 Corinthians 1:10, 12:25; Titus 3:10).
Non-negotiable tenets of Christian orthodoxy:
- We believe in one God, manifested in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit; who are coequal and coeternal.
Genesis 1:26; Ephesians 1:3; John 1:1-3,14; John 10:24-38; Acts 5:1-4
- We believe in the deity of Jesus Christ - His virgin birth, being conceived of the Holy Spirit; that He is true God and true man.
Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:20-23; Luke 1:26-38; John 1:14; John 8:58; Philippians 2:5-8
- We believe in the sinless life, atoning death and physical resurrection of Jesus Christ, and that He physically ascended into heaven, being seated at the right hand of God as our Mediator, Priest, and Advocate, and that He will one day return for His Church.
John 20:26-28; 1 Corinthians 15:3-8; Acts 1:9-11; 1 Timothy 2:5; Hebrews 2:17; 1 John 2:1;
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 19:11-16
- We believe that all men have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified solely by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ, through His atoning death on the cross.
Romans 3:21-28; Ephesians 1:7; Ephesians 2:4-10; Titus 3:3-7
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, and only Word and revelation of God, inerrant, infallible, authoritative, and God breathed, being the final authority for all matters of life.
Psalm 19:7-11; 2 Timothy 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:19-21
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, who convicts the world of sin, regenerates the believing sinner, and resides in the believer to gift, guide, instruct and enable the believer in Godly living and service.
John 14:16-17; John 16:7-11; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Galatians 5:16-25
- We believe the true church of Jesus Christ is composed of all people who, through saving faith in Jesus Christ, have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit, and are spiritually united together in the body of Christ, of which He alone is the Head.
1 Corinthians 12:12-20; Galatians 3:26-28